Andrew Willis brings a decade of insurance defense experience to MGC. In the firm’s Richmond office, he specializes in analyzing insurance coverage questions for insurers and representing them in coverage litigation. While Andrew has evaluated coverage issues under the laws of dozens of states, he focuses particularly on claims originating in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. He regularly handles cases involving homeowners’, general liability, auto, UM/UIM, professional liability and excess/surplus insurance. Andrew addresses these issues, along with questions of bad faith, fraud and policy rescission, in the context of confidential coverage analyses for clients and breach of contract and declaratory judgment litigation in state and federal courts. He has also succeeded in his motions practice and with appellate work, briefing matters before Virginia’s appellate courts and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Before dedicating his practice to insurance coverage, Andrew represented employers and their insurers in cases before the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission. “This gives me a unique perspective on coverage cases where there’s also a workers’ compensation angle,” he observes. Prior to joining MGC, Andrew’s practice included litigating business disputes.
While studying law at the University of Richmond, Andrew clerked in the Brunswick County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office. He continues to draw on this experience with criminal law, particularly in cases involving suspected malfeasance by policyholders.
Outside of MGC, Andrew enjoys spending time with his family, as well as reading history and fiction. He is fitfully attempting to improve his skills making smoked BBQ.
- Bad Faith
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- SIU/Arson and Fraud
- University of Richmond T.C. Williams School of Law (JD, cum laude)
- Colgate University (BA, cum laude)
- American Bar Association - Insurance Coverage Section
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Defense Research Institute - Insurance Coverage and Fraud SLG Sections
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Federal Bar Association - Richmond Chapter (Membership Secretary)
- 2013 District of Columbia
- 2012 Virginia
- 2014 United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- 2019 United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- 2020 Untied States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Virginia Super Lawyers - Rising Stars (2016 to Present)
- Insurance Coverage Fraud Litigation and the Pandemic: Where are the Cases? (The Briefcase: DRI Committee News) - September 2022, Volume 1, Issue 6
- Deconstructing Insurance Coverage Issues in Construction Defect Litigation (The Journal of Civil Litigation) - Summer 2021, Volume XXXIII, Number 2
- Is There a Procedure for Terminating a De Facto Award (VADA Journal of Civil Litigation) - Fall 2017, Volume XXIX, Number 3