Dominic Starr’s practice focuses on business litigation, tort litigation, products liability, transportation and trucking, coverage and bad faith, professional liability and construction defect litigation. He has tried more than fifty cases to jury verdict in State and Federal Courts, many of which have involved actual and punitive damages claims in the millions of dollars. He has tried cases to verdict in nine of South Carolina’s Judicial Circuits, as well as in three of South Carolina’s Federal District Court Divisions. Dominic’s trial work primarily includes defense of insurance carriers in bad faith litigation, defense of insureds in high exposure/high risk catastrophic injury claims, telecommunications companies, skilled nursing and assisted living facilities, automobile manufacturers, pharmacy chains, transportation companies and heavy equipment operators. He has also defended several class action claims.
Dominic has more than 24 years of high exposure litigation experience. He shares that experience with his clients at each stage of the litigation proceedings to be sure that they are well prepared to effectively respond to opposing counsel’s tactics. Dominic also serves on MGC’s COVID-19 Response Team.
Dominic is married and has two daughters. He spends his spare time exercising, reading and traveling.
- Alcohol Liability
- Bad Faith
- Commercial Litigation
- Director and Officer Liability
- Governmental Liability
- Nursing Home Liability
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability
- SIU/Arson and Fraud
- Emory University School of Law (JD)
- University of Pennsylvania (BA, cum laude)
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Horry County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Coastal Inn of Court (President, 2014-2016)
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- 1993 South Carolina
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Litigation - Insurance (2020 and 2021)
- Super Lawyers - Business Edition (2014)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers - Civil Litigation Defense (2013 and 2014)
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly Leadership in Law (2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ - AV®
- An excerpt of one of Dominic's closing arguments is featured in The Lost Art: An Advocate's Guide to Effective Closing Argument, authored by the Honorable Joseph F. Anderson, Jr.
- Seacoast Church (Elder)
- Freedom Readers (Board of Directors, 2014-2016; Board Chair, 2016-2018)
- Myrtle Beach Sunrise Rotary Club (Past President)