Hugh McAngus is a Founding Member of MGC. He has concentrated his practice in the area of workers’ compensation defense for more than forty years, making it a priority to work with clients on obtaining the best results and to identify industry trends that may affect the client. Today, his practice focuses on defending complex workers’ compensation claims, catastrophic losses, toxic exposure and occupational disease claims as well as mediation. Hugh is recognized by the Supreme Court of South Carolina as a certified mediator, and has been actively involved in the development of workers’ compensation law on both a state and national level.
Hugh has served as president for the South Carolina Self-Insurers Association, as well as the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association. He is a recipient of the prestigious Hemphill Award, which is the organization’s highest honor. It has been awarded 16 times in the Association’s 50 year history. He has also served as the secretary for the Defense Research Institute’s Committee on State and Local Defense Organizations.
Hugh is a proud husband, father and grandfather, and enjoys spending his time with his wife, children and grandchildren. He is an avid outdoorsman, and loves to hunt and fish.
- Workers' Compensation
- University of South Carolina School of Law (JD)
- University of the South (BA)
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (Secretary for the Committee on State and Local Defense Organizations)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association (Past President and Secretary)
- South Carolina Self- Insurers Association (Past President)
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational Association
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Legislative Study Committee (Past Member)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- 1976 South Carolina
- Certified Mediator
- Hemphill Award - South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association (2014)
- The Best Lawyers In America© (1995-2019)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers (2008-2019)
- Greater Columbia Business Monthly Midlands’ Legal Elite (2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ - AV®
- 2018 Worthy Adversary Award Recipient - SC Association for Justice