Hugh McAngus is a founding member of MGC and a retired partner. He concentrated his practice on workers’ compensation defense for 44 years, focusing on complex workers’ compensation claims, catastrophic losses, toxic exposure, occupational disease claims, as well as mediation. Hugh was actively involved in the development of workers’ compensation law on both a state and national level. He was also among the instrumental leaders that grew MGC from one office in Columbia, South Carolina into a regional insurance defense firm.
In 2014, Hugh was presented with the prestigious Hemphill Award by the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association, showing distinguished and meritorious conduct and service to the legal profession and the public. He was the 16th recipient of this award in the association’s 50-year history. Hugh is also a 2018 recipient of the South Carolina Association for Justice’s Worthy Adversary Award, which honors a defense attorney who displays exemplary professionalism, honesty and ethical behavior.
Hugh is a proud husband, father and grandfather, and enjoys spending time with his wife, children and grandchildren. He is an avid outdoorsman, and loves to hunt and fish.
- Workers' Compensation
- University of South Carolina School of Law (JD)
- University of the South (BA)
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (Secretary for the Committee on State and Local Defense Organizations)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association (Past President and Secretary)
- South Carolina Self- Insurers Association (Past President)
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational Association
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Legislative Study Committee (Past Member)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- 1976 South Carolina
- Certified Mediator
- The Best Lawyers in America© - Workers' Compensation Law - Employers (1995-2021)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers (2008-2020)
- Worthy Adversary Award Recipient - South Carolina Association for Justice (2018)
- Hemphill Award - South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association (2014)
- Columbia Business Monthly's Legal Elite of the Midlands (2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ - AV®