Commission Issues Advisory Notice Regarding In-Person Hearings and Informal Conferences
On May 18, 2020, the Commission issued an Advisory Notice stating that, effective June 1, 2020, hearings docketed with the jurisdictional Commissioner and informal conferences scheduled with the Commission’s mediator will be conducted in-person.
To protect the health and safety of those participating, the following procedures should be observed:
1. Immediately notify the jurisdictional Commissioner, and preferably do not attend the in-person hearing or informal conference, if you:
- Are currently being treated for COVID-19;
- Have ever been diagnosed with COVID-19 or tested positive for COVID-19;
- Are experiencing the known COVID-19 symptoms: fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat or new loss of taste or smell;
- Have (within the previous 14 days of hearing or informal conference) have traveled on an airplane or traveled to a high-risk area for transmission of COVID-19 – this includes household members; or
- Have been in close contact with someone under the evaluation for or confirmed infection of COVID-19.
2. All persons scheduled to attend should remain in their vehicles or outside of the building until they are notified by telephone by a representative of the Commissioner’s office to enter the building.
3. All persons attending should apply the provided hand sanitizer prior to entering the hearing room.
4. All persons attending should wear a face cover at all times in the hearing room.
5. All persons attending should maintain a social distance of six feet between themselves and others at all times.
6. Parties should wipe their respective tables after the hearing with the provided sanitary wipes.
7. Any party to the case may request an electronic hearing using CourtCall – the request must be agreed upon by all parties and approved by the jurisdictional Commissioner.
8. Any individual scheduled for an in-person informal conference may request it be conducted by telephone.
9. All APA submissions, exhibits or other documents to be submitted at the hearing must be provided to the Commissioner and participants electronically.
The 5-18-20 Advisory Notice can be found here.
This legal update is published as a service to our clients and friends. It is intended to provide general information and does not constitute legal advice regarding any specific situation. Past success does not indicate likelihood of success in any future legal representation.